Menstruation is a natural, healthy and biological process that every girl/woman (and that’s 50% of the population!) experiences, so here is a list of the basic period essentials every girl should know!
The Beginning and the End
1. Menarche is a girl’s first period. It usually happens somewhere between the ages of 11 and 15.
2. A woman goes through the menopause and stops menstruating (having periods) between the ages of 45 and 55.
The (menstrual) Cycle Itself
The menstrual cycle is the time from the first day of the period to the day before the next period. It is called a cycle because it repeats itself every month till menopause.
3. A period (the time she bleeds) can last for anything between 3 and 7 days each cycle.
4. A woman will have approximately 450 periods in her lifetime.
5. Every woman’s cycle is unique. A cycle is the length of time from the first day of one period to the first day of the next. A cycle can last anything between 21 and 40 days, the average being 28.
6. A woman bleeds between 2 teaspoons and half a cup during her period.
7. On average a woman will use 11,000 single-use period products in her lifetime, that’s about 25 every month. So if you’re going to use single-use products (and the majority of women do), make sure they are good for you and for the planet!
8. There is a good selection of reusable period products on the market and many women choose to use these either on their own or in combination with single-use products. See my recommendation of reusable period panties in our shop.
9. Whatever you do don’t flush anything down the loo except the three P’s – pee, poo and paper!